In this world of hurting people, there are not nearly enough people offering help to those without hope. In our community, we are averaging one suicide a month and others are overdosing on drugs or just committing the slow suicide of drinking themselves to death. I have been ministering in the jail system both at the county level and the state prison for well over seventeen years. Ten years ago our church started the Reformers Unanimous addictions ministry in the local jail. The jail admin said they would allow twenty men to sign up and over thirty men actually did! The chaplain said he has never seen a ministry launch so big and so fast.

It has been a thrill to see people set free from addictions and destructive behavior. The opioid epidemic is not confined to Michigan or even to Shiawassee County. It is now a nationwide problem and America has the stigma of being the largest drug consuming country in the world. I try to remind people of this when they want to criticize Mexico and the cartels. We are creating the demand and they are simply supplying it. I am looking for like-minded people who want to address the underlying problem, namely that of the consumer, the drug abuser who lives across town, or in your neighborhood or maybe even across the table from you.

Curse the Darkness? or Turn On The Light?

The Bible says we are blessed (happy) if we are not sitting in our seats scorning or despising those who are addicts. I have no use for that attitude! To be sure the addict has made bad and even sinful choices to get to where he or she is at. There are some who are responsible for their actions and others who are victims. I asked one man who had been a drunk for many years how long he had been drinking. He said, “My mother used to put beer in my baby bottle to keep me quiet!” I am sure there are many who have never heard his complete story and it makes me grateful for my precious parents. I was asking another man in his thirties how he had to come to use marijuana and he said his relatives forced him to smoke dope when he was still a young boy of six or seven, thinking it was cute. Yet another man, my good friend from high school had his drunken father take him to the bar when he was four or five years old and had set him on the bar stool to help him have his first drink of beer. Would you like other examples? Sadly I have many more. I am sure you see how scorning these people is the wrong thing and helps no one but to inflate our own egos.

Let’s stop kicking people who are down and be sure we have all of the facts before we sweep them to the side of the road of life and wait for the trash man to pick them up for a one way trip to the human landfill. Will you criticize and complain about our drug epidemic or will you partner with me to offer a hand of help to those in bondage?

It Takes Prayer, Love and Time to Help

I used to think that it took a lot of love to help people and to be sure it does. You will work really hard for their family and kids and then not have the loyalty or appreciation always paid back to you. I live by the maxim to do what I do as unto the Lord, knowing that ultimately it is Him that I serve.

My background is one of drug and alcohol abuse and I am grateful to be alive! With all of the dangerous things I have done and the people I associated with, I should have been killed many times over. I have been a lawbreaker, both God’s law and man’s law, and I am now on the other side! The Lord saved me from my sin, including that of abusing drugs and alcohol in the year of 1980. By His grace and power, I have been set free for thirty-eight years! It is a lie from the devil to say that once a person is an addict or drunk that they are doomed to a life of abuse. It a wonderful thing to experience sobriety, which I prefer to call victory from bondage. I so desire to see others join me in this walk of life that I have led our church in establishing Reformers Unanimous in our local church. Reformers Unanimous was established by Steve Currington and now has chapters in every state in the US and many foreign countries. I was quickly reminded of how much love it takes to love the addict, how much patience it requires to help with her baby steps toward victory and yes, the great rewards to have them testify, “I have been free from shooting heroin for over a year now!” or, “I have been tobacco free for two years!” or, “I have been anger free for three weeks!”

What Do You Want From Life?

“There is a way which seemeth right unto man but the end thereof are the ways of death.” (Proverbs 14:12) I attended a concert in San Francisco and remember chanting with the whole crowd, “We’re white punks on dope! White punks on dope!” I was deceived. I was blind. I was on my way to destruction. I had become the person my parents warned me about. Then I was set free with a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Will you join me in setting others free?

We Have a Worldwide Problem

This blog is intended to reach around the world. I may never meet you but please stay with us and help “Set The Captives Free!” I appreciate your input and feedback, because none of us is as smart as all of us.

19 Comments

1. Marvin Smith

Thank you for your openness about your own story! It helps knowing that the writer is able to relate.

2. Bill

Wow – what a distant but vivid memory…I remember shouting the SAME chant with the same group at a concert overseas…and look back on that wayward time with the same disgust.
    I thank God for the fact that Christ STILL is the answer. The time, prayer and love you mention are right on. Coming along side the lost and addicted and befriending them with truth takes commitment. But they won’t learn it unless we model it for them first.

3. William Pinkert

I’m an addict and need someone to talk to.

4. Kent Dyment

Thanks for your influence on me for the last 37 years of friendship, starting on the USS Cook.
    May God bless this work.

5. Roy Little III

Pastor Whalen has always been so genuine and kind to me, his Bible Baptist church has always been my favorite! I haven’t been there in awhile, but I believe it’s time to visit again soon. I’ve been learning some acoustic hymns, (playing and singing) maybe I could play for the Lord again? *hint hint* 🙂 I’ll stop by the church soon, play it for you, and see what you think. The hymn is called “Nothing But The Blood (Of Jesus)”. It’s in the key of E major, and sounds so beautiful. I can’t wait to show it to you! Thank you pastor, and thank you Jesus.

6. Lexie

This is absolutely beautiful! We all need to come together and help each other and love each other as God loves us! I have been attending the RU program for over a year now and I am proud to say by the grace of God I am 2 years clean from heroin and crack cocaine IV use. God has delivered me from my addiction and continues to work in so many positive ways in my life! Praise the good Lord for all he has done and will continue to do!!

7. Pro Build

Thank you for every other informative web site. The place else may I get that kind of info written in such a perfect manner?

I’ve a undertaking that I’m just now working on, and
    I’ve been at the look out for such info.

• Timothy Whalen

Tell me more about info that has an interest for you. Thank you for your comment.

8. Jerry Korkoskie

Thankyou Pastor Whalen,
    The Lord is waiting for people to come to Him and surrender all of one’s self to Him. Satan is out to destroy our lives for a quick fix or a temporary Fix but has eternal consequences. The Lord said come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Praise the Lord and awesome Blog Pastor Whalen!-

9. Andrea

I never realized how lost I was until I started going to Bible Baptist Church. It’s an amazing feeling asking Christ into your life. On 12-21-17 I was baptised and although I’m a working progress I know Jesus died for our sins and forgives us the sinner’s. I love this church and the people, they are like family. We all have a special love for each other. Thank you pastor Whalen for all that you do!!

• Timothy Whalen

Lord Bless Andrea! You are making great progress!

10. Christine Luckhurst

I was a member if Bible Baptist and a counselor for the ladies in RU. Many good memories! These ladies needed a listening heart, encouragement, challenge, and prayer. They needed to know who God is and how much He loves them, regardless of what they have done. God has blessed through this program and lives have been changed. As Christians, we need to get out of our comfort zones and stand in the gap.

11. George Skutt

I just want to thank God also for the RU program.We been going to it for 4 years now and I praise God for all the people who’s lives have been changed because of God using the RU program. I am so glad God led me and my family to Bible Baptist church. The pastor and his wife and children and folks in the church are all a blessing to my family. May God continue to bless Bible Baptist Church and the people of the church.

12. Lash

I went over this web site and I think you have a lot of fantastic information, saved to fav

• Timothy Whalen

Thanks Lash and please feel free to share with your other friends!

13. Nutrient

Good blog! I really love how it is simple on my eyes and the data are well written. I am wondering how I could
    be notified whenever a new post has been made. I’ve subscribed to your RSS
    feed which must do the trick! Have a great day!

14. Buba

Oh this is really great of you..
    This a great work done
    May God blessing you for sharing
    Keep it up bro